A strong shareholder base
Since its inception, eTheRNA has raised a total amount of over EUR 30 million in equity investments and non-dilutive funding, including a Series A financing of EUR 24 million announced early 2016. That was one of the largest private investment rounds for a start-up biotechnology company in Belgium, and even Europe.
The company's shareholders are all highly renowned investors in the life science sector:
- Participatie Maatschappij Vlaanderen (PMV), is an investment company that finances promising companies from the very start to growth and internationalization, and as such it shapes the sustainable economic future of Flanders. With about 1 billion euros in assets under management, PMV provides tailor-made financial solutions that include venture capital, loans and guarantees. PMV’s venture capital funds for life sciences and healthcare are dedicated to young companies with highly innovative products and outstanding growth potential in sectors such as therapeutics, diagnostics, medical devices and next generation technologies.
- LSP Life Sciences Partners is a leading independent European investment firm, providing financing for private and public life-science companies. Since the late 1980s, LSP’s management has invested in a large number of highly innovative enterprises, many of which have grown to become leaders of the global life-science industry. With over USD 1 billion of investment capital raised to date and offices in Amsterdam, Munich and Boston, LSP is one of Europe’s largest and most experienced specialist life-science investors. For more information, please visit lspvc.com.
- The Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund was formed in March 2010 to invest in biotechnology and start-up companies to help drive innovation in medical science. The sole focus is to search for significant enhancements in patient care through innovative and pioneering science. Investments aim to extend the current therapeutic area focus of Boehringer Ingelheim and demonstrate our commitment to investigate new treatment modalities and technologies, within and beyond our existing landscape, for the potential future benefit of patients. The Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund has an initial commitment of €100 million and prefers to invest in early stage companies, i.e. in seed and series A rounds. Beyond capital investment, we intend to take an active role with our portfolio companies – delivering significant added value through our own extensive drug discovery, scientific and managerial expertise. So far the Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund has invested in 16 companies and already achieved one successful exit, i.e. Okairos AG.
- Omega Funds is based in Boston and dedicated to life science. Omega looks for innovative and differentiated therapies and holds participations in over thirty life sciences companies, including amongst others Juno Therapeutics, Intarcia, Fibrogen, Dicerna Pharmaceuticals, Jounce Therapeutics and Editas.
- Fund+ is an open-ended fund for long term equity investment in innovative Life Sciences companies with a focus on Belgium. The objective is to create sustainable shareholders value, contribute to the development of a leadership position in the Life Sciences sector and generate a tangible, beneficial societal impact.
The other shareholders include:
- Progress Pharma is a European development company, created in June 2013 around a multi-functional and experienced team of former Movetis/Shire-Movetis/JNJ/Organon senior managers, under the leadership of Dirk Reyn (chairman) and Emile van Dongen (CEO). The company’s mission is to turns promising assets into companies. Progress Pharma currently has currently two assets in its investment portfolio: a phase III asset for the treatment of Crohn disease from Lipid Therapeutics and eTheRNA.
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) is a dynamic and modern university with two parkland campuses in the Brussels Capital Region, In Jette you can find the medical campus and the University Hospital. VUB’s research teams are internationally recognized in many disciplines of fundamental and applied research.
VUB offers a quality education to more than 9000 students and with more than 150 research teams working on both our campuses, VUB is one of the biggest centres of knowledge in the capital of Europe. Thanks to this expertise and its strategic location, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel is your ideal partner for prestigious research and education with an outlook on Europe and the world.
- Kris Thielemans
- Carlo Heirman