eTheRNA has entered a new phase in its young but promising history. The company is well positioned and adequately financed to complete phase I and II clinical studies with its mRNA-based TriMix platform for the treatment of advanced melanoma and breast cancer. eTheRNA plays a pioneering role in the development of in vivo mRNA-therapies that deliver tumor antigens to dendritic cells.
eTheRNA groups team members who are all passionate about mRNA technology and who wish to contribute to the development of truly innovative immunotherapies that can help millions of patients by combatting their disease.
Do you share our passion and are you the best in your area? Apply to join our team.
Chief Scientific Officer
General Job Description
The position reports directly into the CEO - Dirk Reyn
The CSO supervises and manages the Pre-Clinical Team, consisting of Scientists and Research Associates.
He/She serves as a key member of the Management Committee and partners with the CMO on the scientific validation, evaluation and presentation of results. This person will also be a member of the Joint Steering Committee governing the R&D collaboration between eTheRNA and the VUB.
He/She is responsible for the design, planning and execution of the preclinical development plans for the TriMix platform, the key asset of eTheRNA, in accordance with the overall development strategy of the Company.
The Chief Scientific Officer will possess a demonstrable track record of preclinical and early development credentials and best-in-class leadership and management capabilities. Experience in a start-up environment is highly desirable. A low-ego and a strong sense of purpose and alignment with eTheRNA's patient-centric mission will be essential to gel with the executive team, board and investors.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Chief Scientific Officer duties shall include, but not be limited to:
- Leading and supervising the eTheRNA Preclinical Scientists and Research Associates and coordinating the hiring, training, coaching and annual performance reviews of the personnel. He/she is the chairperson of the Preclinical Team meeting;
- Responsible for the design, planning and execution of the preclinical development plan for the TriMix platform in accordance with industry standards and in alignment with the overall development strategy of the Company;
- Working with the founder and head of VUB’s Laboratory for Molecular and Cellular Therapy for optimal access to know-how and resources at VUB campus. Acting as the eTheRNA interface regarding the activities of eTheRNA on the VUB campus site in Jette;
- Active member of the Joint Steering Committee governing the R&D. Collaborating between eTheRNA and VUB;
- Responsible for presenting and defending the preclinical strategy to the Board;
- Ensuring that in vitro and in vivo pharmacology studies (in relevant animal models) are executed up to industry standards and as laid out in the preclinical development plan in the field of oncology and infectious diseases;
- Driving high quality research & development in the field of immune therapy. Work with the team to develop a new generation of TriMix-like technology with more anti-infectious agent immune response;
- Building/maintaining a network of industry and academic partners for collaborations, granting applications and accessing to new technologies;
- Ensuring up to date knowledge of the latest technologies, developments and science of the field;
- Responsible for the work planning and managing the resources, budgets, schedules and key operating metrics;
- Facilitating and mentoring the development of team members for success;
- Coordinating the work outsourced to Contract Research Organizations, Contract Laboratories and LMCT/VUB and supervising maintenance of scientific quality and timeline management;
- Maintaining a laboratory quality assurance program;
- Drafting grant applications and manuscripts, including regulatory documents;
- Presenting research results at internal meetings and as a company representative at local, national and international meetings;
- Active member of eTheRNA’s management committee. Participating in other team meetings (e.g. product development team, project teams).
- Qualifications & Experience:
- Master degree or PhD in medicine, biomedical sciences, bio engineering, biotechnology, biology or related field or equivalent relevant laboratory experience;
- Researcher with a track record in field of oncology - preferably immune oncology. Additional experience in infectious disease is regarded as very valuable;
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant laboratory experience in pharma/biotech industry in a leading team position;
- Good understanding of academic setting is considered important;
- Strong practical experience in a range of immunological techniques in vitro and in vivo studies is very valuable;
- Good knowledge of good laboratory practices (GLP), and lab quality assurance practices;
- Fluent in English.
- Leadership & Management Behavioral Competencies:
- A strategic thinker, who masters the content. With a strong EI and outstanding leadership skills more than another expert;
- A proven leader that can help to bring pre-clinical program up to industry level/next level;
- Detail-oriented, a problem solver with technical skills;
- Demonstrated management and organizational skills;
- Good inter personal skills;
- Ability to solve problems and execute on initiatives. Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with technical staff;
- Ability to independently integrate new information and approaches from the scientific literature.
- Accuracy in following instructions, record keeping and completion of reports;
- Program management skill.
- Personal Characteristics
- Well organized and structured individual who can multitask, set priorities and take initiative;
- Enthusiastic and flexible. Able to foster teamwork and a collaborative atmosphere;
- Hands-on and accountable to the organization’s results;
- A personal presence which is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity empathy, and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals, values, and guiding behaviors of eTheRNA.
- An exciting job in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with room for personal development;
- Employment contract of unlimited duration with a competitive salary package.